Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What do you give for an 83rd birthday present??

My mom loves pies. She loves piecrust. She LOVES cinnamon piecrust sticks!! So I scored double by making the pie AND the cinnamon goodies. Call me an overachiever - I'm the first child, after all.



Ummm...smell that cinnamony hot-from-the-oven goodness??


The next best present for my mom was the surpise load of firewood that arrived the morning of her birthday. Trust me - it made her day! There's nothing she loves better than splitting and handling wood. Well, besides piecrust...
We don't call her a tough old bird jokingly...
She's already worn out one splitter. This is the new one, as of last month.

She may look scrawny, but she kept me hopping to keep up with her. When we finished for the day, I had sweat rolling down my neck. Mom had some sore spots, but didn't break a sweat. Sheesh.

A family dinner is always a great way to celebrate a birthday. Mom's request: spaghetti and garlic bread! And Blackberry Pie.

Did you know candles will stand up in a pie crust? You just have to use those little pokey thingys to hold the candles.
We gave her a break on the candles - there wasn't enough pie to share with the local volunteer firemen if we had used the required number of candles.

1 comment:

  1. These are great! She never slows down much, does she? Wish I could have been there for her birthday, but it's nice to know she had such a good time. Looking at your cinnamon strips almost did me in!

    ReplyDelete