Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Thursday, November 18, 2010

Commute

There are some advantages to living 30 minutes from the dentist. Now if I were living somewhere else, say, in Portland, that wouldn't be a true statement. But here on the coast, anywhere you drive is a beautiful outing.


While I wasn't exactly thrilled to be headed to the dentist (crowns), I did grab my camera on the way out the door - a weather day labeled as "changeable" was bound to provide some Kodak moments. Dr. Gilbert has an office in Wheeler, commuting from his Portland practice several days a week to provide outstanding dental care for north county folks. He was late, snow on the pass. Arrived in a hailstorm. Within 15 minutes it was sunny - for a spell. That's what changeable weather means!


Some views of Nehalem Bay, from the hill where the clinic is located.
That's Neah-Kah-Nie Mountain in the background. Where it drops to the ocean is about a 900' cliff. Highway 101 curves around that cliff, with several big pull-outs for enjoying the incredible view down the coast and out to sea. Prime whale spotting place from late December through March. I saw 14 spouts during one outing there, my personal record!
I'm enthralled with clouds right now, they are so wonderful to play with using watercolors or pencils - my cloud photo reference file is growing, with shots like this one:

Heading home, coming around the curve on the north end of Garibaldi just where the highway breaks over the hill, I almost kept going straight on in amazement as these two eagles seemed to be perched right in the middle of the road. A quick dodge to the small parking pull-out right there, and I had the camera out in a flash and started snapping.


Looks a little grouchy, doesn't he? It's been extremely windy the past 36 hours, I'm sure it didn't help the fishing - for man or bird.

It was nice to come home to a cozy warm house and crackling wood fire in the stove. Changeable weather is fine, as long as you don't have to be out in for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment