Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The next generation of computers...

Computers are puzzling. The people that make them are puzzling. Even PHONES are now puzzling. Waaaaaay too many options...not to mention I can't turn them on.


I actually did get up close and personal with the innards of a Droid, though. That's a new phone, for those of you who may be as techie challenged as myself. Here's the story:


It's elk hunting season here on the coast. That means the guys are out in the woods at o-dark-thirty, rain or shine. This particular day it was rain. And fog. And more rain. But they perservered, and showed up here at the house about 10 am with the elk that nephew Derek got. Due to the downpour, they decided to skin it out and section it for the meat bags, in the garage on a large piece of plastic. All was going according to plan. Until.


Until Derek's brand new Droid slipped out of his pocket during a delicate maneuver inside the ribcage of the carcass, and went splat into a puddle of blood on the plastic. Which was covering the concrete floor. Not a good landing pad for delicate computerized gizmos. Del, Derek's dad, swooped and scooped, and came up with bloody Droid pieces (dads never stop looking out for their little guys, you know...).


OK, I'm the only one not already elbow deep in meat or hide, so by default I got the Droid handed off to me. NOT the most logical person, having the most knowledge to deal with the situation. Trust me. But I'm always game for a challenge, so after some wiping and evaluating, my handy operating room assistent - Mom - went for some slightly more sophisticated tools. They worked quite well, actually.


If you are squeamish, don't look at the blood and gore on the utensils...
Derek had to tell me how to extract the battery (told you, I'm not up on these things...) while his hands were dripping with bloody water; fortunately I take direction well. The phone was cleaned as well as it could be, barring a trip to the Droid Hospital. I think we accidentally may have produced the next generation in computing - you know, where they become living things - with blood?
Right after the phone made it's fatal plunge I heard this bit of conversation:

Chris: "Derek, did you get a picture of your elk?"

Derek: "Well, I HAD one..."

A short time later, as the Droid was resting comfortably on it's towel, we heard a warbling tone. The patient had survived.

I told Derek not to be surprised if the ring tone changed to an elk bugle, all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment