Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Thursday, April 1, 2010

Out of Africa...

If you've been following along, you may remember these mysterious patterns (posted on March 5. I didn't forget. I've been busy. Really. ). Still stumped?

Oh, so you don't think this is an exotic bamboo??

A clue: I took the photos in one of the greenhouses at Don's Waterfall Farm. Yes, they have trees - and many other wonderful plants. And....


the mystery object.


"OBJECT??!!! I'm an OBJECT?? I beg your pardon. I am NOT an OBJECT."



No - no, she is not an object. She is an African desert tortoise. A SULCATA, to be precise. And a commited vegetarian. Living in tortoise paradise - a greenhouse that raises flats of peas, her favorite food - along with other juicy green goodies.


This gal can really book it when she spies something that piques her tortoise interest. Guess no one has told her the story about that rabbit...

(ummm....I wonder if it's a good idea to put plants in tortoise-height pots on the floor where said tortoise is roaming....)


"Whoa! Take a look at THAT! And it has a cute little sign on it - gotta check this out..."


This is Janet. The tortoise mama. Doing what a mama has to do - spoil the little punk's fun.
"No, honey, that one has a SOLD sign on it. It is not YOUR plant."

"Are you SURE?? It LOOKED like my plant. You know. Green. Juicy. Just my height..."

"Sheesh. Just put me back under my heat lamp, please. AFTER you put down a fresh flat of peas..."



This particular tortoise is from Botswana. A happy healthy Sulcata can live for 300 years. And weigh in at 300 pounds.


As of this morning, the greenhouse girl weighed 4.095 pounds. She should gain about one-tenth or so of her body weight each month. She is only 5 years old. Do the math.


Order some more cans of pea seed, Janet. She's got a looooooot of eating to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment