Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Thursday, November 17, 2011

Turning over a new leaf...

Passion is a funny thing. It can strike in an instant, without any planning on your part at all.

That's what happened. It began with a random memory of Card Exchanges with some calligraphers I used to hang with. We would choose a topic (or not), and make a card for everyone who wanted to sign up for the exchange.

While taking the photos that are in the previous post, I naturally picked up a few leaves. Then a few more. Then I raided the backyard. Then I went for a walk and stole (oops - you didn't hear that) some from a neighbor's tree. Insidious. That's what they are.

So with a pile of leaves, the thought came, we should do a Fall Leaf Card Exchange, since they will only last a short time before turning brown and shrivelly. (Hmmm. Those are interesting forms, too.) Anyway - since I no longer have all those contacts at hand, I thought of my artistic friends in various states and assorted artistic relatives who might be interested, bullied them into a two-day deadline, and grabbed my paintbrushes!

Here are my cards. In various formats. And a few experiments.

140 pound cold pressed Arches paper; Graham watercolor paints (tube).


One thing I've been wanting to explore is sewing on paper. This seemed a likely project to try it out. The black thread (only because I was too lazy to change the bobbin) really makes the color pop! I fell in DEEP SMIT, as Anne says. What fun! Now I have a dozen more projects whizzing through the alleys in my brain - makes it hard to sleep sometimes.


I loved this leaf. I pressed it. Then brought it out to have a conversation with techniques. I decided in the interest of sanity to just use masking fluid for the holes. Worked well, don't you think?

Naked leaves on white paper can be a little stark, so with some various backgrounds the cards starting looking a little more grand. But they still needed something. This calligraphy script, called AKIM, is one of my favorites for quick projects (that's what I said this would be - about 12 hours ago). Akim is lyrical in rhythm, which seemed to fit the idea of fall leaves. The verse was something just repeating itself over and over and over in my mind as I played with the leaves - so as I do in the middle of the night with pesky ideas, I wrote it down to get it OUT of my mind!


Another fun medium is using watercolor pencils or crayons. You color it on, then use a wet brush to blend (the orange/red around the leaves on right). That particular purple leaf was an old stand-by technique from grade school art - paint the back of the leaf, then press it onto the paper for a contact print. Then I cleaned the leaf, flipped it over, and used the watercolor pencils to color around it as a negative stencil.


The "artsy" card on the left is a simple wet-the-paper, drop-in-color and let it do its thing technique. Another beginners watercolor exercise. Then I did some blowing on a few puddles to make vein-like lines of color. Some negative painting around a few edges to give some suggestion of leaf shape. Some veining painted in with a tiny brush.


Two of the paintings were done on this postcard size wc paper. After drying well, I went over those particular paintings with a piece of parafin, so the cards are waterproof for mailing.


So much of a painting is viewer's perception. The project doesn't have to be photo-like, it's often more effective to let the viewer see what it means to them. So "artsy" works!

Watercolor painting can be challenging. But by keeping it light and fun, a lot can be learned by just playing.


The cards all went into the mail this afternoon. When I get some in return, I'll post photos of those, too. We all have different styles, favorite materials, quirky and original ideas - I can hardly wait! Anticipating "happy mail" is so uplifting!


It's busy times for all of us, so usually only a few artists respond, on any given project...but it gets the juices flowing, and that's part of the benefit of these "quick" projects. Taking time for ourselves and our art is important - especially in such a hustling world.


Chosing a subject that you like is good; but it really doesn't matter - anything will work. Until it grabs you and won't let go. Then you paint like a fiend, into the night...


Who knew fall leaves were so sneaky? Especially the shrivelly ones...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I so wanted to play! I was knee-deep in conferences; before school, after school, evening...So NOT creative! Instead I was dispensing not-great news, explaining a new report card and grading system for the 30th time,(definitely NOT going over well), defending our decision to team-teach 58 kids, and generally not enjoying this week. It's over now, and I intend to do something that feeds rather than bleeds, by golly. Thanks for sharing yours, though, because it still inspires me. Good job!! :)

    ReplyDelete