Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Orphink of the Storm

About a month or so ago, I nabbed a kennel from the thrift store. It's all set up in the garage as Birdie's emergency carrier. BUT - I know from LOOOONG experience, an empty kennel follows the universal law - "If there is a vacuum, it will be filled." I knew that kennel was like a ticking bomb.

And it has never failed me yet. We have rescued, raised, boarded, so many odds and ends of critters over the past 50 years, we should have a zoo license.

This morning, it happened again. It's been two years since Birdie strolled in. At least she choose good weather. I knew we were overdue for another orphan. Like waiting for the "Big One" earthquake off the coast...

This little gal caught our attention during one of the nasty coast storms we get from time to time. BUCKETS of rain, flooding rivers and drains, high winds, water over roads, lightening, power blips - the whole lolapalooza.

I looked out the front window about 10:25, thinking about what time we needed to leave to make it into Tillamook for an 11:00 chiropractor appointment. Across the street, on the steep bank, was a small white dog. Trying to get up the bank, not making it, staggering around.

It was windy and POURING. I figured I might be able to coax the dog across the street into our garage, so dashed out (sans coat, of course)only to discover that the dog was not only soaked to the skin, she was BLIND and DEAF. No wonder she wasn't responding to coaxing...

With the help of a passing neighbor, who jumped out of her car into the rain, in her nice shoes and work clothes, I managed to get the dog into the garage. Mom brought out some towels, we bundled her up and then I CARRIED her (all 100 pounds it felt like) into the house where I had hurriedly placed the kennel by the stove, all comfy with thick towels. We dried her as well as possible, stuffed her in the crate where she promptly curled up and closed her eyes, then I bolted into town for my chiro appointment - which I REALLY needed by then. That is one brick of a pup, no matter if she is as old as dirt.


She is about the size of a cocker spaniel, but looks to have maybe some terrier. Mostly white, rather wirey coat. Nails like Elvira. Smells like an old, wet dog, if you know what I mean.


So mom stayed to watch over her, I ran errands, got a can of dog food (after all, we can't feed her the CAT FOOD, for heavens sake), and survived some very dicey driving in the high winds and slanting downpours. Not to mention the lightening, which I really don't care for.


Little Orphink hasn't moved. At all. She IS still breathing, we check her every hour. She doesn't react to food rubbed under her nose. Or the cat breathing down her neck.


You have to understand, Birdie now associates dogs in kennels with TOYS. As in, the dog becomes her personal toy. She is so puzzled by this one. She has sat and watched. She has laid down right by the door, waiting...waiting. Not a whisker or eyelash has wiggled. Now she has taken up a post where she won't miss a thing, including if the dog gets that dish back that has the FOOD in it...this cat has a one-track mind, centered in her stomach.

I've notified both local vets, and the city office, that we have Little Orphink here, in case someone calls looking for her. I'm going to talk to some of the neighbors up the street, see if anyone knows her. We have not seen this dog before, and we know most of the closest family's pets.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that she hasn't been dumped. Makes me very upset to think of anyone doing that to an old dog. But it happens, just as much as people dump pups or kittens.

Orphink may be going to Salem with us for Thanksgiving. Hope she wakes up for the turkey... Will keep you posted...

Oh - and she SNORES.

1 comment: