Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January is Gingerbread.

One of the many many things I learned the first time through "Simple Abundance" was that January is Gingerbread. If you've never spent a year with the daily readings and inspiration of Simple Abundance, hasten to the nearest used book store and find a copy. Sarah ban Breathnach (pronounced "bran-nack) has authored many books, this is her crown as far as I'm concerned. I read it almost every year, enjoying all the margin notes I've made over time and seeing where I've grown, what I've pondered over the past years, what I want to bring into my life for this precious year.

On to the gingerbread:
Gingerbread is a quest, finding the perfect recipe. I've tried quite a few. This week I pulled one of mom's older cookbooks off the shelf to see if it had a gingerbread recipe. The angels must have guided my hand. I love, love, LOVE this gingerbread! Granted, I added a few elements from past recipe endeavors, but boy howdy, this one I think is my El Dorado! Just LOOKING at it, makes my mouth water!



GINGERBREAD

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix with a fork in a med. bowl (or sift, if you're a purist):

2 3/4 c. flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. sea salt

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. ground ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

In large bowl, beat thoroughly:

1 c. veg. oil

3/4 c. honey

3/4 c. mild molasses (or sorgham is even better)

1 heaping tsp. minced FRESH GINGER (key ingredient)

Beating smooth after each addition, alternate adding half of flour mixture and half of:

1 c. buttermilk (no buttermilk? Put 1 T. vinegar in bottom of measuring cup, fill to 1 c. with milk, let set a few minutes)

ending with last half of buttermilk.

Pour into 9x13 pan prepared with Pam Baking Spray (the eighth wonder of the modern world). Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 min. Start checking at 35 min. , do not overbake!

Cool on rack, cut into large pieces while warm but not hot. It's out of this world served warm, but it's wonderful not warm, too!




This moist straight-from-heaven goodness doesn't need whipped cream, ice cream, frosting, or any other gilding of the lily.

I've never had such good crumb, perfect moistness, divine flavor, inviting aroma, or just plain WONDERFUL gingerbread come out of my oven. THE gingerbread recipe has arrived. The long quest is over. For me, anyway. I love cakey supermoist gingerbread. If you prefer another texture - well, it's your quest.



If you INSIST on a little gilding - actually, it's mandatory - make sure you have some small doilies on hand before embarquing upon this gingerbread adventure. This stuff deserves the royal treatment on the serving plate. I'd eat it with a gold fork if I had one.

February? Dust off your Cole Porter, and have your library put a video/CD of "Out of Africa" on hold for you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Candy! I love Simple Abundance, too! I found some copies to give to my daughters, because they need it too! I remember my mother making gingerbread with 'hard sauce', which, in my memory was lemony. And another thing we have in common is a love of old cookbooks! I especially love the old "1944 Elk Valley Grange" style cookbooks". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so now you made me hungry for gingerbread! The recipe is copied off and that's what we're having after dinner tonight! I like the idea of a hard sauce that is lemony from the previous comment. I'm going to look into that :).

    ReplyDelete