Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Friday, December 2, 2011

The WAVE

Cousin Carey M. has challenged us once again with a new quilt block pattern for the Biennial Mills Familly Quilt project. This one was a LOT easier than the last one - I've never been overly fond of detailed applique work, takes me toooooo long to do those itty bitty stitches. I'm all for quick and easy!

The pattern is called "Ocean Wave" - or Snail Trail, Monkey Wrench, Indian Puzzle, Journey to California (?), Whirley Gig (that one actually makes sense).

Cutting, piecing and sewing the first block took awhile, but with the help of Voodoo Bunny (AKA the pincushion), it was not difficult. In fact...

I enjoyed the pattern so much I scrounged into my fabric stash and came up with three more variations!





The dark one is supposed to be the moon over the ocean...OK, just use your imagination. And I actually appliqued that moon, so there!





Then I found a panel I had started putting together for another quilt project, and since it fit the theme of "Oregon Coast", I sent it off with the waves for Carey to piece together.





Several other family members are making various coast-themed blocks, and sending them along to Carey. The final quilt is always a surprise, and always beautiful. We will see it in all it's glory at the Mills reunion next August - where it will be raffled off. This quilt project was started about 16 years ago to promote quilting in our younger generations, learning and carrying on quilting skills in honor of Lydia Blum Mills - my greatgrandmother.

I particularly loved the verse around this panel...





While I'm not living THIS close to the sea, I can hear the roar of the surf at night, and breath salty ozone laden air any time I step out the door. A little bit of heaven, good for the soul.



I think that Adriondack chair is waiting for me..

No comments:

Post a Comment