Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Saturday, May 15, 2010

Barn kids

A few days after arriving back in Wisconsin, I was delighted to be at neighbor Jolene's (where my Sassy goat has been living) just as Sassy was delivering her twins. Only we didn't know it was twins then...

Carrie and I and Than were feeding Jolene's critters that evening, and checking on the two expectant does. Sassy was due any hour. Sure enough, one baby on the ground, and another sliding out while we watched! A boy and a girl.

No, there's nothing wrong with the ears, we just didn't hang them up to dry...(old 4-H goat story). These are LaMancha goats, remember?

I didn't get any other pictures of them the entire three weeks I was there, shame on me. The second goat also had twins, pure white. Also short eared, even though the mom has normal Toggenburg ears. Daddy to both sets of twins was a black and white LaMancha buck. We don't know where the solid white gene snuck in...
One evening we took some friends over to Jolene's to visit the herd and see all the lambs and goat kids. The kids were playing "king on the horse", climbing all over poor old Buddy, who was trying to get some rest. He's a gentle fellow, a calm old white horse who is barely able to get up and down any more, so spends most of his time laying down in a sunny spot. He apparently has been designated the pasture babysitter for the goatlings. Much to his disgust. Every so often, he'd turn his head and grab at one of the little pests.
They were pretty danged cute pests, though. Like popcorn!
Goat kids are soooo fun. I've always loved goats, especially when my own kids were growing up. We have a photo of Carrie, milking her goat when she was about 3 or 4 years old.
The barn kids will all go to other homes, and we're hoping to find Sassy a nice family who wants a calm and gentle milking goat. When I got her, we had no idea my time in Wisconsin was coming to an end. Jolene has been a true friend, taking care of Sassy over the winter, until we could see what the future held.
I miss the farm, and all the animals. They model the life we are meant to live - linked to the earth and seasons, taking each day as it comes, no rush, no hassles, plenty of time for chewing a cud and contemplating the clouds, gathering in the barn for warmth when needed, watching out for each other to keep the wolves at bay - just plain good company.
I think I'm homesick - or is that farmsick? I need to go find some dandelions to munch.

1 comment:

  1. I'm confused! Are you still living in Oregon but visiting the farm? Two very cool worlds, it's no wonder you miss one when you're in the other. (there is an Alan Say book like that, I'm pretty sure it's Grandfather's Journey. You would love the watercolors) :)

    ReplyDelete