Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Friday, February 26, 2010

It's CLAMMY out there...

Winter is the best time to eat crab and clams, fresh from the cold, cold waters of the bay and ocean. Clam digging is a long-time Griffin family tradition.

Likewise, clam EATING!

But first you have to catch a clam...


(...the cup is for perspective - these are cockles)



then you scald them and clean them...





...grind them up (fee fie fo fum)...




and then....



you make a big platter of clam fritters and DIG IN!!


Winter on the coast is all about comfort - crackling wood fire in the stove and good eats on the table, from our labor of love (cleaning clams is an art).

3 comments:

  1. In the past I've missed the "grind them up" part. I enjoy clam chowder, and I think I'd like fritters, too. I know I'd enjoy both more with the texture soothed by the fee-fi-fo-fum process!
    And tell the truth- that shipwreck composition MUST have forced you to get the watercolors out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of shells!!! This post also makes me appreciate all the work you went to on "my" clams!

    ReplyDelete