Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Friday, June 1, 2012

No feathers

We have a wetland in our back yard. Just on the other side of the fence is the swamp we played in as kids, making plank walkways through the skunk cabbage and willows. Lots of fun critters to play with, like salamanders and frogs!

 One critter we did NOT play with was the raccoon. They can be nasty - ask our dog Spotty, who got in a royal fight one night and was severely bitten in a very private place. Owie. Poor Spot - he survived to fight another day.

Coons still prowl the area. With a creek just across the road, which runs into the bay a few blocks down, it's prime coonland, lots to eat. They are opportunistic feeders. And usually nocturnal.

Susposedly carnivores, we have discovered a vegetarian among the ranks. This fine fat fellow, in broad daylight, tells the story:

"You're jokin' me.  Are they SERIOUS?  CHICKEN WIRE??  To keep a coon out?  HA!"
"SEE??  A coon ladder, all nice and handy..."

"Hmm.  Millet, a little cracked corn,  sunnies...kinda slim pickin's....Snotty blue jays have been here."
"Oh ho - what have we here?  Whoa nelly, JACKPOT!"
"Let's see now - I think I can get my paw right in here..."
"Yep, look at that!  Just a few wiggles of my fingers, like shuckin' corn!"
"Mmm- mmm good!  I much prefer black sunflower seeds, and in this handy tube thingy I don't even have to sort and spit out the millet.  Yum-ee!"
"Wait.  Did you hear that?  What th...."
"Oh-oh.  Busted.  Maybe if I give them the evil eye they'll take the hint and leave me alone..."
Well, we didn't leave him alone.  I opened the window and informed him that he did NOT qualify to eat the bird seed - no feathers!  He kept eating, with one eye on us.  I finally had to get firm to shoo him off.  He went just as far as the end of the fence, about 8 feet, and waited a few minutes, then came right back, climbed up the fence  and started noshing again!!  Bold fellow!

With a bit more scolding, he left his perch, but again climbed up to check out if we were still watching.  He attemped the rail, but it was just a bit too narrow for his fat bum to balance and walk the skyway to the seeds.  You can see the disgust...
"Alright, alright, I'm leaving.  For now."

I have no doubts, he'll be back. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photo-journaling! Loved the play-by-play and his different looks!

    ReplyDelete