Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Saturday, February 25, 2012

White Beans 'n Kale

This is my favorite really quick winter (and spring, and summer, and fall) warm lunch or dinner dish! So easy, no recipe - it's one of those "about this much" type cooking.

I start with a medium fry pan with enough water to cover the bottom about 1/4" deep. This is my sautee' liquid, rather than oil. Add some seasonings, like my favorite Bragg's Organic Sprinkle which has lots of herbs and spices, including rosemary and thyme which go so well with beans. You can adjust seasonings at the end, too.

One onion, and several cloves garlic. Use the amounts that you like - heavy on the garlic if you like garlic, which I do! Put in the pan and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to medium.

Rough chop kale (or chard leaves), a couple of handfuls or so, and toss into the pan with the onions and garlic when they've sauteed for a few minutes. You can lid or not; I just sort of stir-fry at this point, so I can keep testing the kale. I like it a bit al dente' but cook it until you like whatever tenderness suits you. Just don't cook it until it loses it's bright green! Not only not appetizing, but by then all the nutrients are compromised - just sayin'. May have to add a bit more water, don't let the pan go dry.

My quick meal involves canned beans - usually white beans, but I like black beans in it, too. Dump the beans into a sieve and rinse, then into the pan and toss gently until the beans are heated. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if needed. I don't salt it.

This whole process takes about 6-8 minutes, if you have everything ready to rock 'n roll. That includes chopping! So you can tell the cooking time is pretty short...


Scoop your serving (this made two) into a lovely bowl, then drizzle some (about 1 T.) good olive oil and a squeeze of lemon over. Dig into heaven in a bowl!

Mom had a nice bowlful along with me for lunch. She opted to have a small bit of Bragg's Liquid Aminos added to her bowl, which is yummy too.


This is soul food, for sure! Heavenly flavor, nutritious, pretty! So satisfying in texture and taste.


Especially if the kale was just picked from your winter garden...

1 comment:

  1. I'm making this for sure! Looks SOOOO good. We just steamed the carrots you brought to us from your garden...a BIG hit!!!

    ReplyDelete