Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Friday, August 5, 2011

Sweetpeas

There has been a dearth of Sweetpeas in my life - like about 10 years. This spring I was determined to break the famine. It was so satisfying to poke those round black seeds into little pots, put them in a mini-green house on a shelf near an east window, and wait patiently for the first green shoots to emerge. Happy day!

The back fence line, already secure with chicken wire, was a perfect place for the new babies. They have responded with zest!


One night, a week ago, I awoke to a gentle breeze drifting through my always-open window. The homespun scent of honeysuckle, growing 20 feet up a nearby alder tree, mingled with the ambrosia of sweetpeas, blossoming just a few feet away from the window. Pure Heaven. I lay awake for quite a bit, breathing in the comforting scents spun with so many memories.



I keep a bouquet of sweetpeas on the stand at the end of my bed, treasuring every opportunity to enjoy these perfumed jewel-like flowers.

I keep the flowers picked, to encourage more blossoms. It's so fun to share generous bouquets with friends and family - everyone loves the nostalgia of sweetpeas!


Oops - a little out of focus - but so endearing.



Sweet dainty butterflies of scented memories. Summer's kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment