Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Friday, October 1, 2010

Back to the Future

I don't recall when I drew my first squiggles and stick people. But I'm sure that as I gripped that fat crayon, a snapse clicked in my brain that has never faltered. I love art. I enjoy sketching, doodling, designing, calligraphy, collage, painting and just messing about with things "artistic".

There are seasons in our lifetime, where some things go on the back burner while others take precident. Eventually, as seasons always do, those backburner things cycle around again, and niche in as though never gone.

A few weeks ago I picked up where I left off quite a number of years ago, with painting. Specifically, watercolors. Not just as calligraphy background, which I've done more recently. This is the real deal, with sketching studies, doing value drawings, and all the bells and whistles that make my heart smile.

A local instructor offered a 4-session class right here in Bay City at the ArtSpace Gallery/Cafe'. The fee included all materials, and lunch from the cafe. How could I resist?! So every Friday from 11 to 3, 10 of us ranging from newbies to accomplished watercolorists get together and implore the muse to sit on our shoulders as we mix and discuss color, texture, paper quality, tools, and collectively groan at homework that stretches our abilities.

Each session begins with an hour of critique, discussing each piece of work turned in. We learn so much from each other during this time, led by our very talented instructor, Doreen Lindsted.
Critiquing is probably the most valuable part of any art instruction, where you get to see your work through other eyes, pick up tips, suggestions, and a "well done" for all efforts. Always done with love of the media, and interest in helping each other develop. A nice combination.





Lucky Barbara and husband Tom traveled with an instructor and group of artists to Provence, France last summer. Their work reflects the lovely light of the region. I covet the book (an artist's journal, actually) Barbara discovered just before they returned stateside, which dipicted many of the places they had actually painted. Each of us has a "style", and favorite subjects. Part of Doreen's job is to expand our horizons, step out of our comfort zone a bit. Try something new. Stretch our wings. Isn't that what a "class" is all about?

This is one of my favorite pieces hanging in the gallery, by Doreen. It is so "coasty"!

Our second assignment was to pick a photo from our collection, with a LOT of green, and do a study. I knew right away where to look - the Clear Creek photos of the previous post. Those were only a fraction of the photos, and the one I chose is not in the blog. I decided to go for a basic, not too complicated picture. This has a nice variety of green, yes? Here's the trick. We work with a limited palette. Five colors. One green. Windsor Green (or phathalo green), which has always been a challenge for me to handle. It's intense. And every green we mixed had to include it. Oh my. I may have overdone the green search...this began to look a bit daunting...

About 10 hours later (done over several days), here's the result of a lot of experimenting, mixing, and squinting. (note: the lighting was not the best, so the photos may look a bit greyed...I wish I had taken a shot of it in the white mat Doreen puts each painting in for the critique, sure makes 'em look sharp - especially from about 10 feet away!)


Just to get the full flavor of green, here are a number of detail photos:











This is one of my favorite parts of this painting. See that little patch of light under the stacked rocks? It's the little things in life...


Some things are like riding a bike...you never forget how, no matter how long it's been. I started this painting feeling like I needed training wheels. By the time I finished, I knew I could make it around the block. Still a ways to go, before I tackle a ride down the road. And I'll enjoy every minute of the trip!




All I have to do is keep the cat from packing off my paint brushes. She loves them. Especially the sable brush.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Candy! The painting is wonderful and the close ups all have great composition. Using Pthalo green is really a challenge because it stains so much. No wiping out an accident with that one and no picking up colors for some light. You did a fantastic job and I love the photo you chose. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete