Words to live by....

Love and Compassion are necessities not luxuries. Without them we cannot survive.



Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Fair Time is Fun Time!"

I haven't done fair entries for a lot of years - I think since my kids were young teens. This year, working at the Master Gardener's Learning Garden (which is on the fair grounds) for several months previous to the fair, I got bitten by the bug again. There's something about the fair that just makes you want to have fun! Which was the fair theme this year...hmmmm.
Anyway, we raided the garden (OUR garden, not the LG) for some veggies that might cut the mustard (oh, those Pronto Pups...) and came up with some peas, broccoli, and baby zuchinni that looked like they wanted to take their chances.
The peas, Little Marvels, are the variety mom and dad have always planted. This year the crop struggled, along with most of the garden, with soggy weather. But we rounded up 10 look-alike pods, and they swept the pea entries! The broccoli also brought home the blue, while the baby zuchinni tagged along with a third prize.
Not too bad for a less-than-optimum growing season! And, the really fun part - the ribbons are worth MONEY! I picked up $7 in premiums - which will buy a few packets of seeds from my favorite catalog, for next year's garden.

Yes, I know there are only five pea pods in the photo. By the end of the fair, the entries were pretty limp. So we scrounged a few stand-ins for the photo op.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't put my produce in the fair for a long time. You've inspired me...next year :-). Congrats!

    ReplyDelete